The Smoking Protector is designed to help prevent burns if a person drops a cigarette while smoking.
The person will still need constant observation. Make sure that a cigarette is not dropped on the floor. Also make sure the smoker does not drop it beside their hip while sitting. Even if the cigarette does fall onto the Protector it could roll off the lap, then down next to the patient’s legs and the side of the chair. If a cigarette does remain on the patient’s lap, the temperature may be 400C/725F* on the side and 580C 1076F* in the middle of the burning cigarette. This may heat up any clothing the person is wearing under the Smoking Protector. Nicotine or scorch marks may appear if the burning cigarette is not quickly removed within a few seconds.
Apron with Side Flaps is 81cm / 32″ (L) x 98cm / 38.5″ (W) which is about 46cm / 18″ wider than the Standard, to fold over the arms of a chair. This helps prevent a cigarette falling between the seat and the arm of the chair, or next to the person’s leg.
Wear the Smoking Protector like an apron. Fasten the strap behind the neck, then tie the side tape around the person’s back. Tie with a bow that will be easy to undo.
A variety of garments use this Flame Retardant material from the USA in high risk industries. These include shirts, pants, coveralls, jackets, bib overalls, arc flash suits for maintenance & electrical workers and for workers in electric utilities, oil, gas, petrochemical, chemical and ferrous metal industries.
Reference: Test Certificate No Z 3519/08-4658/08 for EN ISO 11611:2007-10, class 2.
Cleaning Instructions:Cleaning – Fire Retardant Material:
Wash all Fire-Retardant Material products as instructed below before first use.
Cold or warm machine wash up to 75°C. Air or tumble dry on a cool setting, ensuring the drum is cool. Ensure the product is dry before using or storing.
treated fabrics are tested to meet Standard EN 531:1995 (50 washes at 75°C) and are certified by Rhodia Consumer Specialties Limited
who manufacture the Proban
chemical, to maintain their flame retardant qualities for 50 washes, as long as the correct laundering procedures are followed. Independent tests of Proban
-treated garments have passed the flammability test after 100 to 150 washes.Further information is available from the Proban® website:
https://bit.ly/2ZOeRARSome important considerations when laundering Fire Retardant fabric:
The following information is taken from Proban’s websiteProban fabrics have been widely adapted by The U.K. National Health Service, Private Nursing Homes, and Network rail.
- Proban fabrics are thoroughly tested for flame retardant performance and durability to washing however, if the material is not laundered correctly it can fail flammability tests after a few washes.
- Proban treated articles may be washed in any conventional washing machine using a cold or warm wash, up to 75°C. Use the non-colour fast machine setting.
- Regular washing will help prevent soiling build up. A pre-soak of up to two hours may help for heavily soiled items.
- Use synthetic
detergents only (e.g. Cold Power, Drive, Spree, Dynamo, FAB, Biozet, Radiant, Castle, OMO, Surf, etc.).
- Do not wash Proban garments in traditional soap powders as these types of soaps (Lux, Advance, Velvet, etc.) can form flammable deposits that may affect the fabric’s flame retardant qualities.
- Never use hypochlorite based bleaches (e.g. White King, Domestos, and other supermarket blends) as they will attack the Proban finish and can reduce its flame retardant properties.
- Garments can be tumble dried, however to avoid shrinkage, take care not to over-dry.
fabrics meet the requirements:
- Proban fabrics meet the performance requirements of BS 7175: 1989 Section 3.
- Prior to testing, all Proban fabrics are washed 200 times in accordance with BS 5651 Hospital Laundry Procedure Normal.
)Comfortable and lightweight Proban fabrics do not cause skin sensitisation and/or irritation on the wearer’s skin. Proban
fabrics are ideal for manufacture of flame retardant sleepwear for retail and contract markets. Key features of the Proban
- High level of stability.
- Does not hydrolyse on long term storage.
- Durability after 50 washes.